Harrington Electric is grateful for the opportunity to perform an electrical distribution system modernization at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist. Located at E. 9th and Superior Ave., the Cathedral has been the headquarters of the Cleveland Catholic Diocese since 1948.
Electrically, Harrington was tasked with building a distribution system with new over-current-protection equipment and new feeders. This has been challenging while maintaining the existing electrical distribution system.
The new distribution will feature 120/208V 3Ph 4W and 480V 3Ph 3W systems. With the church being constructed in 1847, there are many thick foundation walls often made of sandstone to penetrate.
The project is nearing completion and will require a series of scheduled power outages to “swing” loads from the old system to the new. Harrington electricians Albert Madsen and Brad Cain have done a beautiful job upgrading the electrical integrity of this historic landmark.
Harrington has been fortunate to work under the construction management of John G Johnson Construction Company on this project. Harrington also benefited from the highly professional design and coordination with Osborn Engineering
An Interesting Find
While working on the St. John’s Cathedral project in Cleveland, Harrington electricians Albert Madsen and Brad Cain came across the drawings for the Cathedral’s original electrical installation Cathedral that were dated May 14, 1946. Those drawings just happened to be produced by Harrington Electric Co. which performed the original installation from 1946-1948!
Harrington is honored to be upgrading the Cathedral’s electrical system 75 years later. Thank you, Cleveland Catholic Diocese!