Severance Hall, named after John L. Severance who donated most of the funds necessary to erect the building, has served as the home of The Cleveland Orchestra since its completion in 1931. The Cleveland architectural firm of Walker & Weeks was chosen to design the orchestra’s new home, currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with construction beginning in 1929.
Preserving Historical Integrity
A large-scale renovation, expansion, and restoration added more space to the hall, while carefully preserving the historical integrity of the original design which incorporated the finest materials and most advanced features at the time of its original construction.
Large Scale Renovation
Beginning in 1998, under the direction of Panzica Construction and GSI Architects Inc. of Cleveland, the renovation consisted of a new electrical service entrance, a new electrical distribution system and the renovation of the existing hall.
Upon its completion in 2000, the restoration/expansion project also included the build-out of a five-story addition at the rear of the building allowing for additional operational space behind the orchestra shell.